Blog 2015 04 08 Asylum Engine Update
Post
Cancel

Asylum Engine Update

It’s been a number of years since I had a chance to look at this project, but recently I updated the codebase to the latest version (sync with upstream ScummVM) and found that the videos no longer worked.

It turned out to be a pretty simple fix (see commit), but it rekindled my interest in the project.

I added some additional debug output and cleaned up the script debug loop so that there wasn’t as much spamming of commands that were waiting for another event.

Also, thanks to @xesf, we can now actually proceed up and down stairs via fixes he made to the script processor.

TODO

better pathfinding

The path-finding in the original engine is a lot smarter and more forgiving than our implementation.

inventory management

We can currently pick up an item and remove the graphic from the screen, but there’s no way to retrieve/use items once collected.

clean up graphical glitches

There are still a number of clipping issues, as well as incorrect behaviour when Max is standing still (wrong animation might play).

fix encounters

Encounters load, but you can’t interact with keywords yet.

save/load

There was quite a bit of work done on this, but we still need to verify that everything is being restored properly on load.

This post is licensed under CC BY 4.0 by the author.